Friday, July 5, 2013

Lasting Impressing

Today began with Ana Julia’s wonderful breakfast. The very large group from Florida is also here at Samaritano, so it is very crowded in the breakfast line. Today we had pancakes, my personal favorite breakfast food.
Our plan today was to finish pouring concrete for the sidewalk at the school and wax the floor of Carolyn’s gazebo. We had a new bus driver today to greet us at 8 a.m., his name is Lester. Once we get to the school, I start back to work mixing concrete. Most of us are working on the concrete today, so there is more help. I have been working on the sidewalk project every workday, I even have a favorite shovel. Making concrete is hard work- filling buckets of gravel and dirt, loading the truck bed with gravel and dirt, and spreading the concrete are all a lot of effort, but we will finish today. With almost everyone working together, the work went very fast and we put our handprints in the wet concrete to finish our work. Done at last! Nour visited us and was very impressed that we finished the sidewalk in just 4 days. This sidewalk should stay strong for a long time, our handprints are just a small mark of what we have done for the children of this community, but the experience here will leave a lasting impression on our hearts.
After finishing up putting down another coat of wax on the gazebo floor, I have concrete mix, dirt, wax, and kerosene all over me, but I am filled with a sense of success. We became a team and we accomplished a goal- a new sidewalk for the children so they don’t have to walk in mud.
For dinner we had what seems to be a rare treat- beef! In addition, we had fried plantains and more gallo pinto. After dinner we had our typical team meeting and I led my first devotion. Overall today has left me with strength and feeling of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment