Thursday, June 6, 2013

Headaches Go Away

As many know I have suffered with headaches for many years. Thinking honestly I think they actually started when I was in elementary school. I can remember begging my friends to push on my pressure points between my thumb and my index finger to make the pain in my head stop. As I got older the pain continued to get worse. I never had the blinding lights or the aura that people talk about when they get migraines, but light hurt my eyes and I would want to just die, and as I got older my headaches got worse. Finally at about 15ish or so I was diagnosed with migraines. Which didn't surprise me because practically everyone on my dad's side has them. So I have been suffering for the past, I don't know, how old are you in 6th grade? 11? 12? 23 years with some form of a headache/migraine? Top that off with panic attack at the age of 14 with panic attack and at 15 with major depression. Fast forward 23 years to the present. I am now 35 years old I have been living with a daily headache for the last 5 or six years. Most of the time I could function, but there were some days that it hurt to walk. Every step was like shooting needles into my brain. It used to that I could take a Daravocet, and the pain would be gone, but then they took that off the market and nothing would touch the pain. One time a front came through while I was in my 20s, we were camping. I took a whole bottle, YES a WHOLE bottle of TRAMADOL didn't even touch the pain. Then there was the time I was working camp and I got a migraine. I felt so horrible it was like no one believed that I was having a migraine. The were having a dance in the tabernacle and I could feel the bass in my head and my brain just wanted to jump out of my head. Then there was the time I had a migraine where I was throwing up and my ex was royal pissed that he had to take me to the hospital we waited 7 hours to see the DR so I could get a shot. 7 hours! He was so made that he had to take me and then get up and go to work the next morning. Headaches have not made my life easy. I have missed out on going to concerts because I was afraid that the light and noise would trigger something, I have had to miss functions because I was in bed with one. I have missed classes because I have had one. I even got a C in Calculus because I missed on class and was never able to catch back up. Headaches have made my life a living hell. So I was driving to Frisco to play soccer. Yes I drive and hour and a half once a week to play soccer. Call me crazy! I happened to pass this Billboard that was advertising about headaches and Baylor hospital. So I thought I would call and find out about it. I was a little apprehensive though. Could there actually be something out there that would help me get rid of them, or at least help me manage my headaches? So I called and made an appt. The woman then sent me and email with about 20 pages of medical history. The only other time I had every filled out that much paperwork was my psychological evaluation for the candidacy process. The day of the appointment I left really really early because if you know me I get lost in a paper bag, and it is in Dallas and I didn't know where I was going and I was afraid I would get lost and all that stuff. I arrived at the office in plenty of time and when it was time for me to see the Dr. I was called back to the examining room. I had no idea what he was going to tell me. He introduced himself and gave me a neurological exam. I know it was a neurological exam because it's the same one I always get when I get a concussion. He then asked me a few questions. He then began going through my paper work. Asking me about my migraine history. When he got to my list of medications sheet he started asking me how long I had taken this and that and everything. He then asked me about my headaches. He then explained to me that I had what is called a transformative migraine. Basically, my migraine medication was causing my headaches, and the only way to fix me was to do this inpatient procedure called DHE45. Now I don't like the hospital anymore than the next person. And the thought of being in the hospital in Dallas was terrifying, but if this was going to give me some relief then I had to try it. I went home and did some research. Don't you love the internet? I researched and researched. I couldn't decided. I asked my boyfriend what he thought. He said if it could make me better than why not? I talked to my friend who was a nurse. He said he had heard of it but never a week long treatment. People online had horror stories of how it didn't help them. I was so unsure. My GP had never even heard of it. I couldn't decide should I shouldn't I? I finally decided that if I was going to do it I might as well do it. Plus, it got me out of Annual Conference ;P So I checked in on Monday and it was explained to me that I would be given a cocktail of sorts every 8 hours over the next 5 days of DHE45, Magnesium, a steriod, and something for upset stomach. I had an IV started and soon they started the first treatment. Oh boy did that Magnesium hurt going in. I actually had to have my IV replaced two more times. While I was there we also had to meet with other specilist. I say we there were two other people in the program. I don't know if they had any success. I know it was really rough on them. I was just ready to get out of Dallas. Would I reccommend it? Well, let me just say this, in the past 3 days we have had 3 fronts come through Durant. Now normally, with the weather changesI wouldn't be able to function because my head would be ready to explode, but every morning I have woken up with no headache. No headache what so ever. I am still a little tired, and the doctor upped my topomax again, so that will get a little getting used to, but I am happy to say that I it has been almost a week since I have been out and I feel like I can lead a normal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment